Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Deep thoughts on Destination Training...

Ok, not really deep thoughts, just some thoughts... I've been meaning to write this post for a couple of weeks now, so the enthusiasm has dissipated a bit.

Swim * Bike * Run * Eat * Sleep * Eat * Repeat

Who doesn't love a good solid training camp?  Away from distractions of home and work....it's brilliant. 

This year I have 3 camps on my schedule.  2 'organized' and 1 was a big block away from home with a fellow BSC'er and a solid schedule from coach.

CAMP (ish) #1 - Kelly and I hunkered down in the great state of Texas this March in prep for IM Texas (her race).  We had a long winter and she needed some solid saddle time in the 'heat'.  We supplied our own nutrition, SAGs, schedule etc.  Not your typical camp but destination training nonetheless.  You can see the numbers here.

CAMP #2 -  End of June, IM Wisconsin preview camp...Madison, WI...another solid weekend.  Away from the hub bub of home/work/etc.  There were 4 of us from the KC metro that traveled up north to escape the heat of Kansas to enjoy some cheese curds and build more saddle time on the beautiful hills in Madison!  Becky is racing IMMOO in several weeks and it was a good opportunity to preview the course.  It's tough, BTW.  This was put on by a triathlon club (I won't name names) so it was supposed to be a brainless operation.  Ya know, marked courses, SAG support INCLUDING nutrition/water out on the courses, encouragement for all athletes, etc. etc. etc.  I don't want to bag this group, but details that can make or break an athlete during a heavy training weekend were not provided to all athletes...I'll leave it at that.  Overall it was serious bonding time with good friends and major time in the saddle and on the legs.  Coin in the bank, hay in the barn...it all adds up.  :)

CAMP #3 - Well...it hasn't happened yet.  ~2 weeks I'll be headed west.  It's bound to be the most bat shit crazy of them all by far (um, a 10k swim @ camp?!).  It's the one I've been looking forward to for a year and a half now.  I'm pumped!  Coach Mama Simmons Kona Camp!  It'll be fun in the sun with some of my favorite people (some who I have never met, but I positive they'll be my favorite ;)!!! I'm excited to 'preview' the course prior to October and WORK HARD

I'm sure we'll have LOADs to report...stayed tuned!


To each their own on destination training camps, love them or leave them.  I'd definitely do my homework before forking over some $$.  Some of the better ones I've attended are the more expensive ones, but if I'm going to train away from home, I like having the logistics worked out for me every now and again. :)




2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great camp with Michelle! I am SO jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! We need to plan to meet up in Kona!!!

      Delete