Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pigman Race Repot

Pigman has become a staple race on my schedule  each year.  It's run by a super company...they have their stuff together for being a smaller race.  Smaller venue but def not slow course.  The elites that show up to this race are silly fast!  There's a pretty deep prize purse, so go figure :)

After racing Kansas in June, I had a bit of an urge to hit this race hard and see how close to the elusive 5 hour mark I could get.  I realized the timing of this race was wonky as I would be pretty much JUST landing from Kona camp, I'd be home for 2 days then turn around and travel up to Iowa. I talked with Michelle to make sure it was still a good idea.  It was decided I would 'taper' pre camp and not let my body shut down too much after camp.  Turn off the brain and just race, were my exact instructions.  I wanted to suffer.  Why stop?  Just keep it going I suppose :)

Pre race was the traditional dinner with my friends and fellow racers, Josh and Peter accompanied by their beautiful wives Tricia and Kendra.  Lot's of laughs were had!!  A good luck tradition hopefully!

Race day morning was EARLY and without drama, although I was having some major stomach issues.  I was a tad nervous about how I was feeling but reassured myself that my season was not dependent on my success or lack thereof at this race.  (Which if you know me, this is not an easy feat)

Swim.  Go hard and then go harder.  I tried to use my new swim technique I learned at camp as much as possible.  I felt like I was cruising!  No lie I was a tad disappointed when I looked at my watch and saw a 35' swim...remember how just 2 months ago I was stoked for a 35' swim?  This gal is hard to please.  ;)

Bike.  Shut up brain!  This course is FLAT but with a couple of rollers stuck in.  Flat in my head = hammer.  So that's what I did...as much as I could with tired legs.  They burned badly(!!) but I wanted to see what I had that day so I kept on.  I think my split was ~2:37 ish?  (I'm on a plane so no access to Athlinks :))

Run.  Nope, you can't give up quite yet.  Oh this run just plain sucks.  No shade, on a highway, along corn (?) fields.  Oh and across a major river which almost every year I convince myself it would hurt less to jump of the bridge into the river than to run up the hill to the turn around.  This year was no different.  Alas, I've never jumped...This run would be serious coinage for Kona and I wanted to remind myself that this journey has not been an easy one but it's been so fulfilling and worthwhile.  I had complete faith the end of this one would have the same reward.  There were many times I almost convinced myself it was completely acceptable to shut it down and run at a relaxed pace given I had just crushed myself in Kona.  Luckily I'm pretty damn stubborn and I was getting close to that 5 hour mark and a PR for the distance.  What's the point in busting ass for 4 hours only to give up the 5th?    Not my fastest run split on this course...but typical for me for this distance~1:55 ish?

Overall.  5 hours, 11min and change.  No overall spot but an AG win.  Distance PR by 2 minutes.  Ya baby!!  Lesson learned...TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN AND JUST RACE!  Super happy to pull this off after camp!  good things ahead, both mentally and physically.  Seriously getting pumped for Kona!

No pigs were awarded but if we did get pigs, Becky, it'd be all yours ;)

Josh and Peter both PR'd their day as well.  I think our traditional dinner has some magical powers.  See you guys out there next year.

Keep on keepin on!



.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are ready to kick some butt next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! Congrats on Pigman. I raced there too. Love that race!! Congrats on your PR! :)

    ReplyDelete