Thursday, October 31, 2013

Kona 2013 - The BIKE!!!

Here's the quick and dirty (and lazy) until I get the photos uploaded...UPLOADED!!!  (finally, right?!)

When I went out to Hawaii for training camp in August with Team BSC this course kicked my ass.  It was terrible.  I was terrified of coming back.  I didn't feel like I belonged or deserved to come back AT ALL.  Humble pie, a piece for one please!  I took that feeling and brought it home with me.  That ride was not to be forgotten.  I learned that this course needs and deserves R.E.S.P.E.C.T.  I came back to Kona ready to give it just that.



The smile was still plastered on my face from the swim.  The crowds and energy on the first little out and back on Kuakini, was insane!  I was having a blast!  Up Palani (a fairly steep hill) and around the 'hot corner', just how I imagined it to be.  People everywhere, probably about 10 deep.  Definitely 'le tour' style.  On the way out on the Queen K we had a tailwind.  Aawesssooommmme!!  I'm pretty sure I said this in my Oprah voice several times out there.  I just could not quit grinning.  I was totally pushing it with minimal exertion and feeling great.  Maybe somewhat of a redemption ride?  I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. 

Ok, maybe this is the only one without a smile...up Palani Hill :)


There were some big draft groups, but nothing what I had expected.  I will say, some of the men on the course did NOT like getting 'chicked'.  They would pass me immediately back and literally come within a hair of cutting me off.  I had to seriously brake a couple of times...which of course pissed me off and I would jump and go by them...blazin'.  GET OVER IT.  I believe I actually said that out loud a couple of times.

Lava Lava Everywhere!


It was so nice knowing where I was on course.  Even though I was miserable that ride in August it was such a great learning tool for this day.  THANKFUL for the hurt I endured so I could enjoy it today :)  Up, up, up to Hawi.  The crosswinds did not come out to play.  I was a little upset that I wasn't able to experience the infamous crosswinds DURING the race, but it really was all ok. ;)  When I made that turn around, ya know the one you see on NBC, I squealed with delight.  I WAS THERE!!!  (It was either that or the fact that I was at ~ 2:42.xx for the 1/2 way mark which was putting me on track for a KILLER bike split for me for this course)  A quick grab of my special needs bottles and I was heading back down....BOOM right into the headwind.

TAILWIND!!  YAHOO!  This is probably my fav photo.  :)


But, I kept pushing on.  I did have to remind myself to smile a couple of times by saying... you're in m'f'n KONA - smile baby!  And yes, I used that exact language out on the course and yes it made me SMILE!  It's hard not to smile after saying this to yourself, out loud.  The views didn't hurt either.  It was getting hot, you could tell folks were getting tired...some the men were still assholes, and about 10 miles from transition things got interesting.  I had to stop and get off the bike to stretch, I almost got peed on (this girl had obviously had LOTS of practice).  There were some 'head down chin up' moments out there.  Michelle told me in August...seeing the palm trees at the airport is like seeing an oasis in the desert!  Boy was she right!!!!  I was pretty much ready to get off the bike.

And we have a headwind!


I LOVED (almost) every second on that bike.  What a difference attitude makes!



Second quickest IM bike split @ 5:30:xx.  Woo!!! I cruised into transition AGAIN with a huge smile.  I was on track for a stellar day...I just hoped my run legs came to play...dah, dah, duuuuuh...

No comments:

Post a Comment