Friday, October 25, 2013

Kona 2013...The SWIM - THE GOOD

Race report!  Only 2 weeks post race!  I'm breaking it into 3 posts...

Purposely I arrived to the start way early, like before transition even opened!  I was like 3rd or 4th in line!!  I hate rushing pre-race.  My awesome sister/sherpa calmed me through the madness while the rest of the family parked.   Bag drop, getting numbered, the whole shebang.  It like a cattle call.  Michelle got a panic call, WHAT IS A PRE-RACE BAG?!?!?...IS THAT LIKE A MORNING CLOTHES BAG?!  Hysterical.  I ran into a fellow KCer Jason in transition and had a pep chat with him.  Once I had all my bags dropped off, bottles on my bike I was able to hang out with my family and soak it all in.  :)














I got in the water as quickly as I could as I wanted to get to my spot and 'chill' for a bit.  SOAK IT UP, I told myself, YOU MAY NEVER HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO THIS AGAIN.  I lined up way left (away from the buoy line) as I had no desire to get the sh*t kicked out of me.  I had no place to line up with those folks on the buoy line. I may have had to swim a bit further but for cleaner water I was all for it.  I laid on my back and fought back tears looking at the athletes, the spectators, just soaking up the vibe.  What a powerful moment, it will NEVER be forgotten.  THE DRUMS, oh my the drums.  Michelle had told me to expect them.  It gets my heart racing just thinking about it.  Yet, I was eerily calm...the nerves weren't there at all.  I had poured my heart and soul into getting to this exact spot.  I had made it, I had actually made it.  With my own body (and the support of so many of my friends and family), I had made it.  What a powerful thing.  It was go time. 

The cannon went off and so did the ~2k athletes.  I can't wait to see the NBC coverage.  The photos online look amazing.  In the mix, all I saw were bubbles.  Lots and lots of bubbles.  It was NUTS.  The water in Kona is crystal clear and all of the bubbles were quite the sight!  I am not sure if it was the lack of nerves or what I was feeling, but about a minute into the swim I got AGGRESSIVE.  Now this isn't a regular IM swim.  You're swimming with the best of the best.  These guys/gals have done this a ton of times.  So the madness isn't AS bad, almost a polite madness.  I decided to swim my heart out.  I found some feet and stuck on them like glue.  In tri, you can legally draft in the swim and it saves A TON of energy.  People started to swim over me and 'pull' me off MY feet...oh no ya don't.  I was like a jealous crazed ex-girlfriend.  I kept my arms wide to keep other women off MY big strong feet.   It was super fun!  I've NEVER had a fun swim in this distance.  Oh and I saw the diver photogs!!!  How cool was that?  I've always wondered what it would be like to see them.  I cry just thinking about it.  :)  At some point on the way out I actually looked up to sight (I only did this a couple of times, you actually don't even need to!) and saw that I was right on the buoy line.  I suppose with that many people it becomes a vortex...it sucked me right into the line I didn't want.  What do ya do?  I hung on for dear life.  I got to the first turn buoy in 30 minutes.  Holy cow I was having a hell of a swim, for me.  (hm, maybe all that swimming this year paid off?)  Motivated to swim a sub 1:10, I kept on strong feet.  Rumor had it there was a southern swell...turned out not to be an actual rumor.  I did my best to keep on someones feet.  Funny, I 'experimented' a bit scooting off the feet a bit and feeling I far back I would fall...bust ass to get back on the said feet and then be ALL OVER THEM.  Yup, drafting actually works! 

And like that...it was done.  Over.  1:10 and some change.  PR IM swim IN KONA.  VERY happy girl.  So happy that I ran into transition, quickly changed, ran right on out without even seeing the volunteers with the sunscreen...oops!










A little pre-race meditation time with my sister.



This WILL be mine...soon!  So in LOVE!












How amazing is my mom for creating team Harvey uniforms? 



Bike Check in


I love all my signs!!!!

Lovely Moana!!!  This is my coach's daughter.





No comments:

Post a Comment