Monday, December 30, 2013

Consequences

To those folks getting ready to jot down your 2014 New Years Resolution such as
  • "FINISH A (enter choice triathlon/race here ->) _______" 
  • "COMPLETE IM # ____"
  • Run a 5k
be careful.  There are a ton of consequences that you will have to deal with once you start down this path.

...here are some of the ones I've run into in no particular order...

friends...You'll meet some really good folks.  The triathlon community has become some of my best friends.  The majority of people in the triathlon/running world are very TRUE and KIND.  You will actually WANT to get up at 5 am to spend the whole day with them on the bike.

weight loss...it took me 3 IM's before I figured out the secret of weight loss during all the hours of training and if you do it right, you'll loose some of those pesky lbs...bummer, I know.  Trash in = trash out.  Feed to fuel.

passion...More than likely you'll develop a sense of passion for sport.  It's what lights the fire in your belly when that pesky alarm blares at you at 4:30 am M-S.  It's a common thread that unites us as athletes.  You may not even be able to describe this devotion to your training and racing.  Feeling something stronger than just day to day living is pretty incredible.

confidence..."i cannot believe I just did that...I just took my body across 140.6 miles, self propelled"...I often say this when I finish a race. What else can I accomplish?  "'Belief in one's abilities to perform an activity comes through successful experience and may add to, or consolidate, a general sense of self-confidence."  **Studies have also found a link between high levels of confidence and wages. Terrible, right?

It's pretty powerful stuff, this journey to YOUR finish line.  I wish everyone a successful 2014, no matter your sport/hobby of choice.

DREAM BIG

“Be willing to be uncomfortable. Be comfortable being uncomfortable. It may get tough, but it’s a small price to pay for living a dream.” – Peter McWilliams
 
 “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.” – Anonymous
 
 “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment